Collaborating with other artists is extremely rewarding and can be a great cross-promoting opportunity. Today, we'll explore some helpful tips for pulling off a successful collaboration.
- Feed off of each other's creativity
- In collaborating with a fellow artist, the point is to add new elements to your music. Therefore, use the guest musician's uniqueness to enhance your verses. If they rap in a certain cadence, make your parts mesh well with this and if you can, deliver your verse in the same rhythm.
- Do not micromanage
- When you have a specific vision for your song, it is okay to vocalize this. However, do not micromanage your collaborator. Remember, their distinctive talent is why you chose to work with them. Allow them to be themselves.
- Communicate properly
- Make sure that you are communicating the plans with your collaborator. Please keep them in the loop regarding when you want to release the record and whether or not a music video will be accompanying the tune. This will ensure that the song arrives on time with a solid rollout.
- Do not remove a verse without telling your collaborator
- If you end up removing the guest verse or not using it altogether, make sure your collaborator knows this. Letting them know that their verse won't be used allows them to utilize it for another project at their leisure. Also, you never want to disregard the hard work that your fellow artist put in for you.
Collaborating is not an opportunity that should be taken lightly. Use them to your advantage and make that next banger.